Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Beef Barley Soup
Makes 6 servings
Serving size is 3/4 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
2-1/2 lb. chuck roast
2 cups tomato, or V8 juice
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1. Trim visible fat from chuck roast
2. In large saucepan, place meat, tomato juice, celery, and carrots. Add water to cover.
3. Cook until meat is soft and tender, approximately an hour.
4. Remove meat. Cut into small pieces and return to pot.
5. Add barley. Cook 15-30 minutes more, or until barley is tender.
Exchange List Values: Starch 2.5, Lean Meat 2.0
Recipe Source: Fix It and Enjoy It Diabetic Cookbook